Coloring experiment

I threw together these the other day, as I wanted to try a different way of coloring, I have been feeling increasingly exhausted by the thought of rendering “realistically”. So it was time to try a few simple flat color experiments.

It was quite the relief to be honest, a lot of things could of course be better, but I did enjoy this way of coloring much more just in general, and I will most likely keep trying to figure this out going forward.

I think you can kinda see the progress from left to right with the swords, highlights are getting a bit better and it’s looking less like stone and more like metal. Still, the jagged edge on the big one probably ain’t sharp enough yet.

The khopesh didn’t turn out as good as the big sword sadly, was much harder trying to get any contrast going with that blade. I also figured I should at least try to make some armor too, it took way too much time and I gave up after a few hours, but that’s how it is now and again. I tried to detail it too much and it just got annoying so let’s move on. 🙂

All in all I think the big sword turned out the best and was also the most fun.

Trying out some flat colors.

I’ve been having a lot of fun with all the 2D things lately, it’s been very refreshing to get away from the 3D stuff for a while. I’m keeping my fingers crossed this will lead to some interesting job opportunities in the future. 🙂